Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Photos with Redemptorists in South Africa

These are photos taken of the different Redemptorist communities throughout South Africa. The first photos are those of one of the parishes in the Rustenburg Diocese which is also where the novitiate community this. In the compount is the parish church, the novitiate house, two small houses where some of the Redemptorists live. At the time of my visit, the novices were still on retreat so I was not able to take photos with them. I attended the Sunday Mass in this parish where Fr. Sean Wales asked me to preach the sermon. The congregation is mainly white but there were blacks, Indians and colored.


























The other parish is the one that has the compound of Bishop Kevin Dowling.
The third Redemptorist community I visited was the one in Howick, which is
outside Durban City in the southwest. Those who were in this community
were Fr. Larry Kaufmann, CSsR and Fr. Sean Collins CSsR. I attended a
Sunday Mass where those who came were predominantly black. The
singing, led by a group of young people, involved dancing inside the church.
Despite the winter, there were flowers blooming outside the convent which
is beside the church. Nearby is a hill that overlooks the adjacent communities
of Howick, one sees the dam in the town's outskirts. I shared a meal with the
Redemptoristine Sisters' community, made up of four members.

While in Howick, I had the chance to visit the cathedral of Durban City where
the beloved Archbishop Hurley OMI is buried. I also had a chance to visit
Fr. Albert Nolan OP, with Fr. Larry. Fr. Nolan is the famous author of
Jesus Before Christianity.















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home